Exploring the Unknown

Thursday, January 10, 2013

DesTination: Blazing Trails


Ladakh 2010
Photo © Blazing Trails
Motorcycle Fever. It is contagious only to those without the means of accessing their ride in places where roads are impassable (or better yet, illegal to ride) during these frigid winter months in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. As Jack Frost wreaks havoc on us with record breaking snowfalls I find myself feeling trapped inside my skin. A burning sensation emits from every pore on my body and my thoughts seem to be forced in one direction: motorcycles. I whip my head around every now and then towards the direction of the sound of a big twin. It may be a passing motorcycle on television or simply my imagination playing tricks on me. Whatever the case may be I see that old familiar look on my wife's face as she groans and rolls her eyes, already in tune with what is happening to me. "Two more months..." she whispers sympathetically as she knows my mind is still on that one topic that consumes me after any length of time without my Serenity. Two more months before I can bring my bike out of storage and start commuting again with her. Two months too long if you ask me. However, some reprieve is at hand what with upcoming tributes to the God of Two Wheels such as Show Harley (January 2013) and the Montreal Motorcycle Show (February 2013). However, are motorcycle shows really enough? Many friends have started their road trips already by transporting their bikes state side. In other cases they have began planning their road trips as far away as September 2013. It got me thinking about one little jewel that may interest many of you!




Ladakh 2010
Photo © Blazing Trails
Founded in 1999 by Suzie l'Anson (nee Lumsden), Blazing Trails Motorcycle Adventures has been running tours in India successfully with Royal Enfield Motorcycles. They have also since expanded their packages to include motorcycle trips in Nepal and South Africa. With a comprehensive Blazing Care package also included you are sure to find something to suit your interest and taste. Having owned a Royal Enfield Bullet Classic EFI myself in 2009 I can personally vouch that these are exceptional motorcycles that purists in particular will absolutely love! Considered the 'big thumper' in India, Royal Enfield has a rich and vibrant history pre-dating even one infamous Harley-Davidson! Ranging from 350cc to 500cc capacity engines, don't be fooled by Western ideas of 'bigger is better.' These motorcycles have been tried and tested and have been used by the British and Indian military in bygone eras. Today they are still workhorses for many families and for many others still a status symbol of excellence and pride. I used mine to commute to and from work daily when living in the Republic of Ireland. They are happiest on the back of winding roads taking in the scenery but with a properly adjusted chain you can over take any 'cager' when and if the need arises. If riding in and around India or Nepal on a Royal Enfield is not necessarily your cup of tea then perhaps a late model BMW GS series on the shores of South Africa will suit you better? Whatever your pleasure your sure to find something of interest to ride with Blazing Trails.

Ladakh 2010
Photo © Blazing Trails
Having been in contact with Blazing Trails a few times over the years they were kind enough to send me some pictures of their trip to Ladakh back in 2010. For more information, articles and newsletters follow their adventures via Blazing News! You can also follow Blazing Trails via Facebook. Think of it as a once in a lifetime opportunity...one which I hope to share with my sons one day as I have already begun grooming them in the art and zen of motorcycle maintenance. It is trips like these that I find myself longing to do as these winter months steal precious time away from the mile munching that I could be doing. As I sit here in the darkened corner of my office, windowless no less, these pictures allow me a chance to escape the dreariness of today and feed my otherwise insatiable appetite for all things motorcycle. 

13 comments:

  1. I've done two trips with Blazing Trails: one in Kerala in Southern India and one in Nepal. Both were unforgettable experiences and I can recommend them unreservedly for giving you the trip of a lifetime. Mark Bailey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, don't hesitate to send some pictures!:-) Its definitely on my bucket list to do but honestly I wish I could own something like this myself! Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
    2. Hi Mario, if you go to Blurb.com and type Royal Enfield Nepal in the search box, you should find the album of my photos from Nepal. Hope they inspire you! Mark.

      Delete
    3. Hi Mark,

      GREAT PICTURES! Those interested should check it out: http://www.blurb.com/b/2786093-nepal-2011-the-royal-enfield-tour

      Also, check out Anne & Greg's pics of a similar trip via RE: http://www.blurb.com/b/1624994-two-weeks-in-nepal-on-a-royal-enfield

      Thanks for Sharing!

      P.S.

      Delete
  2. Sounds pretty cool Mario; let me know when the time comes. I am planning a trip to Nepal for other stuff, but who knows...

    Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 funerals in 3 months. My bucket list is getting realer : http://www.due-south.co.za/

    Lex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These places are fantastic! The thing is...there are tons of great riding areas right in our back yard; doin' them one at a time.

      Wolf

      Delete
  4. Yeah, definitely Wolf! However, its also been two years since I traveled abroad and the itch is starting to take hold again. When the time comes rest assured, you'll be one of the first to know. Hi Lex, that is a great link! I am so ENVIOUS!!!!Would you consider being a guest blogger on my site when you get back? I'd love to see your pictures, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm certain I'll never do anything like that...but it looks beautiful!

    reddogbiker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun, but it is something that will never happen. When I was younger I didn't make the right decisions to be able to do something like that when I retired.

    JInO

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I made it to Canada you can bet your last looney I'd stay as long as I could and see as much as I could. But getting up there is my problem right now. As for the cold weather, I was just teasing you. Besides I am hoping to get to Halls Harbour, Nova Scotia one of these summer to watch the tide come in or go out.

    JohninOkla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those tours look like a blast! Would love to do something like that.

    BSJ, keep me in mind if you're serious about doing something like that in a few years. That's about when I might be up for a discussion with you on it if you're wanting help/partners.

    dm1400

    ReplyDelete
  9. BSJ - U are OK in my book! Get on that horse of ur's and ride it over the border on the North Way (I87 S) (bring passe-port), take I88 W @ Albany to Binghamton to I81 S stay on I81 S all the way to Johnson City, TN then I181 S/I26 E to Asheville, NC, get off @ NC280 W to Pisgah Forest and give me a call. Bring camping equipment, we have a great Nat Forest CG just about 3 miles from me! U don't need to rent a M/C. Prob. no more than 1200 MI (Thats US Miles not CA miles - lol - I don't translate).

    I'll show U some of the rods and Mtns here in Western NC. U will love it.

    BTW - will be in Plattsburgh in early July for about 10 days. Hope we can meet this time.

    WS

    ReplyDelete