Exploring the Unknown

Thursday, June 6, 2013

DesTination: The Snake

Photo © Wolf Raaen
Six days. That's how many days are left until our baby girl arrives. I find myself with no more nails to nibble on in anticipation of the big day. A day which could be here tomorrow (maybe even right at this very moment as I type this...) or, if our baby girl turns out to be like our second child's birth, delayed by two weeks! Our routine has become rather subtle. I find myself sitting and staring at Jennifer from the corner of my eye as she happily quilts away. She has already made two baby quilts in the last month or so, one for our baby and one for her sister Janice, whose baby is due to arrive later in August. I can't quilt and I find my Jedi powers in willing Jennifer to have the baby now instead of later lacking unfortunately. The anticipation is too much and I can feel myself needing some sweet release. I tuck the boys into bed (early of course, if only to give Jennifer some freedom), ensure that Jennifer has everything that she needs, and start to make my way out of our little apartment here in Montreal. "Don't forget my phone!" Like she has to remind me... "Don't forget my camera!"... thankfully she reminded me. I need to get out of the house, away from the overwhelming anticipation and excitement that seems to follow me everywhere I go these days.



Uncovered, Serenity looks dusty and annoyed with me for having taken so long to take her out for a ride. I
Serenity is Happy to be Out & About
Photo © Wolf Raaen
don't apologize... after all, I am an expectant dad again. Could she really expect anything less? Still, a sense of guilt sweeps pass me, if only briefly. She starts up first time around and rumbles to life like a proper 1400 v-twin should. Some of you who have been following my adventures with my Suzuki Intruder will note that she is still cutting out on me periodically, particularly when downshifting and or coming to a complete stop. Otherwise, she rides perfectly fine and is as happy as any temperamental motorcycle could be I suppose. Like myself, she needs this little excursion. Tonight promises to be a nice ride. I am meeting with a buddy of mine. Wolf is a seasoned biker who usually takes off for hours on end just exploring the back roads of whatever part of the province or indeed, continent that he finds himself in. He planned a ride for this evening with a few friends on a route he put together and aptly named it The Snake. It was an opportunity for me to also meet some pretty great people whom I have only ever spoken to via social media sites like Facebook. Most importantly the ride promised to be scenic whilst short and sweet. After all, two and a half hours is nothing and I'd be close enough to home that if Jennifer needed me I could easily get back.

Along for the ride were some familiar faces as well. Most notably, Raffi who was there with his pride and joy, a K1300GT BMW. I finally got to meet Harry and his significant other, who were present on his Kawasaki. Joe was there on his Harley-Davidson V-Rod. Chris was on his Harley-Davidson Street Bob and Percy was on his Harley-Davidson Sportster Custom - which IS for sale by the way in case your interested! I can personally vouch on how mint this bike actually is! With just over 16,000 on the clock feel free to contact Percy directly if your interested in purchasing this little gem of a bike. Wolf himself was on a Yamaha Road Star, a popular bike apparently amongst road captains!

Raffi and Joe's Pride and Joy respectively...
Chris' Very Sharp Looking Street Bob
Wolf's Roadstar
Harry's Kawasaki
Percy's Sportster Custom - Waiting for a New Owner!
Photo © Wolf Raaen
Ironically none of us had a working camera that night which seem to suit the mood more for riding. We ended up using various types of cell phones including Raffi's iPhone and my wife's Samsung Galaxy S3. Ok, I am lying; for the life of me I couldn't get my wife's camera to work properly. The roads twisted and turned from beneath over hanging trees to large fields which seemed to be missing only a few cows and a tractor to make them picture perfect. We did pass by some lovely river beds and unfortunately drove right past a garage that specialized in restoring antique cars. There were several models to my delight ranging from Fords from the 1930s right up to some Chevys from the 1970s. A treasure trove to be found again another day perhaps. There was an overcast sky which made the ride cooler than what is usually normal for this time of year. However, the cooler weather was welcomed as I took everything in and found myself drifting away in thoughts of one day owning a sidecar that I can tote around my three kids in... whilst mum was in another country of course. :-p

Sorry Ladies, Wolf is Married! ;)
The Road Belongs to Us!
Photo ©  Wolf Raaen
An Evening to Remember
 Photo © Raffi Simonian
Nothing like a Hard Headed Women to Keep Harry Smiling
Photo © Wolf Raaen
In case you're wondering, there weren't any cars around...
Photo © Wolf Raaen
The calmness of the night was disturbed only by the sound of our motorcycles rumbling along the countryside and, when immobile, by the various conversations between friends, old and new. It was an especially bittersweet moment for Percy I am sure, who was spending his last night as a learner with us and was anticipating his undoubtedly stellar performance during his road test today whilst I am writing this blog. With my upcoming move to Sherbrooke in just three weeks and the arrival of my baby girl it may be a while before I manage to find my way back to these back roads with Wolf and company so needless to say it was an especially nice way to say farewell, albeit temporarily, to some really swell folks.

10 comments:

  1. Man, you are soooo talented Mario! Love it! :-)

    Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Wolf...you sir are an artist...and it was a real pleasure to meet you Mario...I look forward to riding east to hook up for a ride ensemble this summer.

    Percy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU guys for the ride and inspiration. My only regret is that I haven't gotten out earlier to ride with you lads. That being said, Sherbrooke is not at all far away and you can bet that I;ll be riding with ye again before you know it! Don't forget too, I have a guest room at the new place too just in case you have too much fun and forget about home! lol

      Delete
  3. Nice one all the best to uou n yer new family

    SR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol just wait til she a young woman n she brings home a big assed hairy biker somthing to look forward to lol always remember your getting obe of lifes greatest treasures.

      SR

      Delete
    2. Lol... being a 'hairy assed' biker myself Ill have a few tricks waiting for the fella in my garage just in case he gets any ideas... ;-) I am hoping the next 14 years go super sloooooowww! :-p

      Delete
  4. Great BLOG

    MR-Clean

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a Mariah Carey video the other day, and the guy in it was riding a Royal Enfield! Of course, I thought of you! :) Great blog! -Amanda K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No videos of the SNAKE? I thought it was another of those roads down here in the mountains that "they?" like to name like, Tail, Back, Rattler, etc. -- lol

    WS

    ReplyDelete