Exploring the Unknown

Exploring the Unknown
Representing the 99%!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Welcome Home Bambi - My 2013 SYM Wolf Classic!

One Very Happy Customer, A Wonderful Friend and a Fantastic Motorcycle!
What more can a guy ask for!? Did I mention How Brilliant Scootart is? 😎
Pic © Scootart
A special thanks to Mr. Hart (aka Junkyard Villain) is in order for helping facilitate collecting my beautiful SYM Wolf Classic on this fine cold and rainy Irish - oops, I mean, Canadian day! He was kind enough to come out to Sherbrooke, Quebec to collect me for the sole purpose of bringing me to Scootart to pick up Bambi. Scootart, a brilliant little scooter shop is located in St. Leonard in Montreal, Quebec. I had the honour of being their first customer in 2017 at their new shop. Admittedly, I didn't really know what to expect but seeing the little SYM in person made me realize that pictures don't do this little bike justice. In person, the little SYM shines and looks the part - ready for whatever adventure you may have planned.

Bambi's Day Finally Came!
Behind her is a Honda CB200!
Pic © Scootart
Jean-Francois (JF) at Scootart was brilliant! Upon my arrival Leo, his mechanic, was doing a final once over on the little SYM Wolf.  The bike was purring as it rolled up. Leo walked Bambi into the shop and JF even referred to her by her name at one point. Definite bonus points for customer satisfaction! 👍 Scootart recently moved to its new location and whilst it claims to be a scooter shop, it could just as easily be a vintage scooter museum. Vespas from all eras can be found along with a classic Renault parked outside. Really, if it had a bit more space it could be the perfect cafe. Whilst I originally toyed with the idea of looking at the little green Honda CB200 pictured above behind Bambi, admittedly, I was too smitten to notice anything as JF completed the paperwork.

Freshly painted and open for business! Drop by today!
Pic © Scootart

You could literally spend a small fortune in here if your not careful...
Pic © Scootart

Classic Red
Pic © Scootart

I Spy With My Little Eye...
Pic © Scootart

Treasure trove of goodies!
Pic © Scootart 

They repair classic and new machines!
Pic © Scootart

Bambi does make for  nice window decoration... 😜
Pic © Scootart

Rain Kit and High Viz Cut is a Must in the Rain!
Pic © Percy Hart
After all was said and done and papers were signed, Bambi was rolled back out and it was time for me to try the little Wolf for the very first time. I wish I could say that I started the little bike with its kickstarter but I completely forgot that I had one! 😜 Reports of the SYM Wolf Classic being well built hold up as the bike does seem to be made of quality materials throughout. I was curious to see how the bike would not only look but also feel in person. JF reiterated what I had already read and heard from other SYM Wolf Classic owners, namely, that I had to keep an eye out on the clutch cable and eventually, indicators. These tend to wear fast and I may take JF's advice and change out the indicators eventually even if they are new. I will also have to pick up a couple of clutch cables from Scooterseals along with some other accessories down the road. It's an addiction, I know.

The Great Escape -
Oddly Enough, that GIANT Moose behind me was
one of two sculptures on someone's private lawn!
Pic © Percy Hart

The PERFECT City Commute!
Pic © Percy Hart
The seating position was perhaps my greatest concern at first as clip-ons can be cumbersome at times. However, the seating position is completely upright, thus negating any pressure on your wrists. In fact, the clip-ons are purely decorative as there is no need to lean down to reach them. I also read that the OEM seat was horrendous, and after my experience with Mr T back in 2013, I was worried about getting severe monkey butt. However, I am happy to tell you that after 170 km (105 miles) my butt wasn't worse for wear. 😅 There are literally bicycles like the Mongoose Pug 20" Fat Bike with larger tires than the SYM Wolf Classic's front 2.75 - 18 and rear 3.00 - 17 tires. However, even in wet conditions like today, I never once felt like I wasn't planted on the ground. With a max torque of only 9.04 lb/ft - 9,000 RPM, there isn't a risk of accidentally popping a wheelie. 

Percy Should Work As A Paparazzo
Pic © Percy Hart

In case you are wondering, I am 6 foot tall and 220 pounds.
I fit the SYM Wolf Classic just fine!
Pic © Percy Hart
Driving in and around Montreal is a breeze on the Wolf. Whilst Sanyang Industry Co. Ltd may still be using tech from a bygone era, the quality of said parts are comparable to Honda and Yamaha. The indicator, for instance, has to be manually returned to its middle position. There is also no push button for the indicator so try to avoid pushing down on it. The kill switch itself may prevent the engine from starting, but not from turning over. An oddity to be sure. The choke is conveniently located between the instrument cluster as opposed to its traditional location on the side of the motor. The front 240mm disk brake has a lot of bite whilst the rear 130mm drum brake leaves something to be desired, at least, in the rain. Acceleration off the line reminds me of Mr. T, my former Yamaha TW200. The SYM Wolf's 149.4cc, 14.79 horsepower isn't going to win a quarter mile, but unlike Mr. T, Bambi will actually keep up with highway traffic!

Meant for one, possibly two if you have a 10 year old.
If you don't, you can borrow mine! 😜
Pic © Percy Hart

Good-By Percy - Off To Sherbrooke!
Pic © Percy Hart

Whilst there is no denying that the SYM Wolf Classic is the perfect city commute, the test for me was the ride back to Sherbrooke. I had originally planned to take the scenic route home but alas, I was eager to get back to my lovely missus and children so I opted instead for a rainy and windy trip down autoroute 10. I know many SYM Wolf Classic owners recommend changing up the front sprocket to a 17 inch. If Bambi was going to be my only bike, I just might have tried it out. However, as it stands, she handled the highway just fine. Admittedly, crosswinds were not too bad but as I live in a mountainous area, my speed did drop from 100 kph (60 mph) to 90 kph (55.9 mph) when going up a steep incline. There is absolutely no way I could have passed a car as the average driver does 120 kph (75 mph) to 140 kph (87 mph), albeit illegally. The speed limit in Quebec is 100kph (60 mph) on our highway. Eventually, the highest I could get the little SYM Wolf to was 110 kph (68 mph) at 8300 rpms. Could the engine use a bit more power? Nope. She is perfect as is. Anyways, that is what Bella is for! 😎 

Pretty Little Engine
Pic © The Motorcycle Shop
The SYM Wolf Classic wasn't designed to cater to speed freaks. However, it will most definitely keep a smile on your face all day long! Vibrations all but disappear at 90 - 100 kph (56 - 62 mph). It has a gearbox that likes to be worked. Meaning, you will be changing gears often to manage the different terrain you find yourself on. This is actually a big plus for me as it really makes you feel like you are a part of the machine. Off the line you need to get into 2nd as quickly as possible. Bambi will equally go up hill with gusto if you drop a few gears. The exhaust note is reminiscent of Betty-Ann, my Royal Enfield Bullet Classic EFI and is for a lack of a better word, intoxicating. With an estimated 450 km (280 mile) range, great ergonomics and sufficient power not only to maintain the legal speed limit, but maybe even get into a bit of trouble on some back roads, the little wolf in sheep's clothing has turned out to be just as charming as it is beautiful. 

Mr. Hart becoming Acquainted With Bambi!
Thank you AGAIN Mr. Hart for driving all the way to get me just to turn around and drive me all the way to Scootart! You are as wonderful a man as you are a stubborn son of donkey's ass for refusing to even allow me to buy you a cup of coffee! This isn't over! Also, thank you very much Jean-Francois for being a pretty fantastic fella and dealership. I genuinely hope to do business with you again in future and promise to take very good care of Bambi!

Ready To Buy a SYM Wolf Classic?
Contact or Visit 
Jean-Francois @ Scootart
7912 Boulevard Provencher, 
Saint-Léonard, QC H1R 2Y5
Phone: (514) 388-4888

5 comments:

  1. I would have driven further for a good friend such as yourself. She is a looker. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought those were great little bikes. Our closest dealer is 90 miles away in Portland, Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is 105 miles away but that being said, totally worth it! :-)

      Delete
  3. Keep that clutch cable greased up and it'll be golden. I always compare it to a free-ride mountain bike because of the nimbleness. I toss it around and even popped an air off a speed bump. It'll be hard to keep yourself in check. See you around the Sym Wolf Forum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a groovy adventure, can't wait to hear more.........

    ReplyDelete